Monday, October 20, 2008

Appearance differs, colors change

Jennifer from “Confessions of an Insomniac” wrote an intriguing post on the differences of people.
She wrote:”We look funny. We are massive structures with balloon-like heads decorated with features yanked at random from the gene pool. We are like snowflakes. no two look the same. We come in a rainbow of colors, much like a new summer wardrobe. red, yellow, black, white. Some of us are skinny, fat, tall…”
Jennifer’s post made me think of how remarkably different people are. The majority of us are guilty of realizing this, but not really thinking in depth about it. It seems as though the thought enters our minds as fast as it departs. Honestly, it’s amazing and mind boggling to me to sit back and think about. Even twins have differences in appearance. If we think about how many people are in this world and then think of the things that made up someone’s appearance, it’s amazing how not one person looks exactly identical to another. Someone’s nose, lips, ears, eyes, eyebrows, cheek bones. Even though someone can have the exact same nose as someone else, their other features differ, even if it’s by the slightest bit, which alters their entire appearance.
Jennifer’s post was extremely interesting to me because it forced me to think, which when anything does that, I find it fascinating. I feel like the world that we live in today is so fast paced and revolved around success and getting things done on our “to do” list, that we feel as though we don’t have time to think about the obvious aspects of life like people’s appearances. We walk by hundreds, even sometimes thousands of people everyday who are different from ourselves and each other. This post made me question, Even though influences might be similar, people aren’t exactly the same, but can personalities be?
In my mind, no they can’t. One beauty in this world is that we are all different. We can go through the same experiences in life and the same disappointments, but we all have our own ways of dealing with those. People can have the same level of “outgoingness” or humor, but I believe that the little things, like what irritates someone and their reason(s) for it, differ. This is one reason why this world is so unique.
I love that Jennifer wrote “we come in a rainbow of colors, much like a new summer wardrobe…” because it makes me think she is saying that our colors change as seasons change. And those colors are our labels for the time being. I find her sentence to be metaphorical, in that she is comparing colors to style and style to people. Style is one thing that makes people appear differently to others, and has a huge impact on first impressions. Someone’s style can change over time, no doubt. For example, I know this guy who use to dress “ghetto” in that he wore baggy pants with XXL white-T’s and sideways hats. That was from about 7th grade, when he came to my middle school, until sophomore year in high school. Now he dresses in tighter pants that don’t sag and fitted t-shirts with his hats either backwards or regular. This guy just so happens to me my boyfriend. I remember asking him what made him want to dress like that and he told me the area he grew up in, the music had a huge influence on him. So there you have it, his colors changed. I believe people’s style changes once they find who they really are, and until then colors will keep changing, much like new summer styles.

http://http//www.blogtoplist.com/rss/people-watching.html

No comments: