Wednesday, October 15, 2008

You are what you listen to?

So today I was driving in my car and there were so many cars passing that were blaring there music, one, for example, with hip hop, and another with rock. I thought to myself, music most defiantly has a powerful influence on these people. Not only the people driving their cars, but everyone. I realize that music is a huge determiner of style, and sometimes the way you act, or even talk. For example, the guy who was blaring his rap music happened to be wearing a big sweatshirt and a do-rag with a hat over it, whereas the guy who was listening to alternative/rock music was driving a lifted truck, wearing a more form fitting t-shirt, and a “Fox” hat and spy optic sunglasses. When I saw that and listened to the music that was coming from his car, I thought, music influences media and media influences the way people dress. Someone was telling me tonight, actually, that the world bases everything on how successful you are, and basis success on looks and first impressions and status. Clothes can be a status symbol as well as the kind of car you drive or the house you live in, but it makes me think, do the clothes people wear or the music people listen to show others who they want to be, rather than who they really are?
When I think of myself, I contradict what I said above, because I listen to all kinds of music, but that doesn’t mean one day I dress like the genre I’m listening to and the next I dress like another. Maybe by looking at me people can have an idea of what I look like, but in my mind, I am who I am. Maybe younger people, like the freshmen in Starbucks, for example, music has a greater impact on them because they don’t know who they are or who they want to be. I mean, they might have an idea, but they might not be sure, which is one major reason why media aims at younger teens.

No comments: