Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Life makes people

I've heard many people say that people make life, and I agree somewhat in that people create their own life with what they want, but I disagree with some of that statement because I believe that the life surrounding us makes us who we are. That is, who we grow up around, our family dynamics, where we grow up/live, and of course, the media. Someone who lives in a certain area is most likely going to act and dress the way their peers do simply because those peers are the people who surround them. There is a constant need for people, especially teens, to feel as though they fit in. In high school, this pressure seems to be the greatest. I've brought up before that teens don't quite have a true grasp on who they really are, which creates that immense amount of pressure. I've witnessed people change how they act and how they dress throughout their younger years of high school til now. One girl I know change from being extremely gossipy and "ghetto", which caused that typical high school drama to acting differently and dressing more preppy. As I watched her change I thought to myself it must be that she's realized the kind of person she wants to be. What causes that realization? Experiences. What you experience often time creates a change in someone. It can be an experience that you encounter that makes you realize “oh my gosh I don’t want to be this kind of person and I don’t want to come off like someone who I’m not”, or it can be an experience where you realize the reason why you are the person you are. The amazing thing about looking around and watching people as they walk by or as they sit and talk to other people or sit alone, is that each person has gone through there own experiences and troubles in life, and are still going to be encountering difficult times. I truly believe its how people deal with certain situations that shows there true colors.
Just a thought that popped into my head while writing this: I know someone who is famous and I knew her before and I know her now, and in becoming someone that the paparazzi preys on and the media hounds on, she hasn’t changed. She is still one of the most generous people I know. Her personality was the same before she got famous and now after she is famous. To me, this shows that she was secure in who she was before any of her stardom arrived, which I truly admire.

No comments: